Paragard is placed in your uterus by a healthcare provider during a routine office visit. Placement is non-surgical and typically takes a few minutes.
At placement your healthcare provider will:
- Perform a pelvic exam to find the position of your uterus
- Cleanse your vagina and cervix using an antiseptic solution
- Measure the depth of your uterus
- Insert a thin, flexible plastic tube containing Paragard into your vagina and then into your uterus
- Remove the tube leaving Paragard inside your uterus and the two threads extending into your vagina
- Trim the threads so they are just long enough for you to feel when doing a self-check of the threads